Thursday, October 15, 2009

Qualitative vs. Quantitative Research

I'm going to have to say that I think both types of research are necessary. I don't think you would get all the pertinent information you need from a study by just going one way or the other. As we discussed the pros and cons of each, in using the two I think we would be able to eliminate a few of the cons.

If I had the time, money, and talent to do an ethnographic study, I think that would be tons of fun. Being a language major, I would love to do some sort of study of France teens vs Quebec teens to see what their experiences are like as well as their views about french and english. I think it would be very interesting because in my experience thus far with french people I believe there might be quite a difference. However the difference might be greater in adults than in teens. It would definitely be an experience.

I think the idea of becoming a prisoner in jail to study murderers and things like that is rather interesting. However I would never want to do something like that myself. That takes a ridiculous amount of commitment and seriously putting your life on hold and potentially in danger.

Quantitative research is also very powerful as data can tell us many things. If I were to do an ethnographic study of french teens, I could also use quantitative measures to see what the 'subjects' think or have to say about english people and the other french people.

All in all I don't think one is better than the other and I think both are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment