Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Education to help the economy

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to look at the function of education solely on the basis of how it will help the economy. The idea of who cares about the kids it's only about the money is pretty stupid. I think that it's very unfortunate that faculties would get cut or subjects taken out in schools because whoever thinks that it will do nothing for the economy.

At the school where I did my PSII, the french they had there was very limited. The french program got cut way back because their music program was really developing and taking off. Who is it to say that one is more important than the other? Who can say which is better for the economy? I mean maybe someone can say something about that. But think about how many people actually make it big as musicians, and how useful being bilingual could be in todays economy, especially in Canada knowing french. I'm not trying to say that I think french is more important than music I think they are equally as important. But I don't think it was fair to cut back on the french in order to boost the music. Unfortunately this year there is now no french at that school. All year students fundraised in order to go to Quebec in February 2010 for the winter carnival, and now those students will not have that opportunity. However don't worry, the music program is doing great! I was very upset to hear about this as was the french teacher.

Also, what happens when something is greatly needed therefore we train all these people for it, and then we have too many qualified people and the jobs go down? We talked a bit about this in class with teachers and that now the program is 5 years because we had too many teachers at one point. We can't always predict the trends and what is going to happen therefore how do we decide what we need more of and what we need less of?

Another thing I thought was interesting was how there used to be a surplus of money for education. I am not looking forward to having to use my own money to buy supplies for my kids because I don't have any money to do so. This is very unfortunate that education is not getting enough money, money I believe it deserves. Without education, what would we have? Everyone is trained in some sort of way to do their job so how would we even have an economy without education?

2 comments:

  1. I wish that my high school had a better French program when I was in school. I work for Parks Canada where being bilingual is a requirement and I really wish I met that requirement fully when in reality, I barely know enough to carry on a conversation! On the other hand, music has been an overwhelming influence in my life and I'd venture to guess it has had the same impact on many other people's lives as well. I can deal with not getting paid a little extra at my job because I don't speak French but I don't know what I would do with my life if I didn't have music. I didn't fully appreciate it until I took band in school and now it uplifts me in ways French never could. Another little thought- why would a school maintain 2 mediocre programs when they had the potential to have one great program? I definitely don't think they should have cut the French program altogether because I believe very strongly in a wide variety of subjects and opportunities, however, if the music program is flourishing, why not give it more encouragement and see where it can go? And- to play devils advocate- if the French program had been the one to excel would you, being a French/Spanish major, have had the same reaction to them cutting the music program to help the French program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that both are equally important as many children wouldn't get the opportunity to learn french or how to play an instrument outside of school. I think I would have had the same reaction if that had cut music but maybe not as strong. Like I said I believe both are very important and who can say which is more important if either. It depends on who you are and what you prefer. I think we need to provide as many opportunites as possible to our students.

    ReplyDelete