Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meritocracy

I read what Brandie had to say about meritocracy and I completely agree with her and think that most people would except for those football players and brain surgeons who believe they are extremely important and deserve to be paid the big bucks. I think doctors are very important, we most definitely need them in our lives. But as it was noted, how would we get doctors if we didn't have teachers? When I think about the fact that I'm going to graduate in 8 months and be a teacher, it scares me. Over the course of our careers we will educate a ridiculous amount of young people, and have some sort of effect on what they do with the rest of their lives. We create the doctors, dentists, lawyers and business owners that are so well paid in this world. Therefore, if we are so essential to the function of society and economy, why are we not paid in the same manner? It makes zero sense to me that professional athletes are paid millions of dollars to play a sport. I understand that yes they have amazing skill and talent that not everyone possesses. However, are they really worth that much money? I can think of a lot of other jobs that could use that money such as education and health care. So, should our world be based on meritocracy? Yes it should!

1 comment:

  1. Meritocracy is also about supply and demand -- few can do what athletes do, so they can command more -- so if you believe in meritocracy can't really complain about pay scales. In terms of what society needs, its hard to say that doctors are worth more than garbage collectors,because garbage collectors have an immediate impact on our health on a daily basis while we might only need to see a doctor once every couple of years....

    ReplyDelete